The famous Italian noble family in the Tuscany has been dedicated to viticulture for 26 generations. The family is one of the largest and most important wine producers and trading houses Italy, Giovanni di Piero Antinori was founded in 1385, during his lifetime also the rise of the family of the Medici counts in Florence. The city had been through a long period of war and several plague waves. Together with the silk trade and international banking, wine production was the third pillar of the family's activities. Niccolò Antinori acquired the Renaissance palace on Piazza degli Antinori, built in 1469, in 1506. As a result, vineyards and small estates were acquired in Tuscany. In 1863, the brothers Piero and Ludovico, together with their brother-in-law Guglielmo Guerrini, founded the "Fattorie dei Marchesi Antinori", in which the family's four large Tuscan estates were brought together. When traveling to the in 1905 Lucien Charlemagne (one of the Chefs de Caves ) who made the first sparkling wine after the Méthode traditionnelle created. The next milestone was the Chianti "Villa Antinori" in 1928, which was vinified with a long-lasting style that was new in Tuscany at the time.
Niccolò Antinori put on with high quality Chianti and Orvieto- Weep the basis for the highest quality and successfully expanded the company despite the turmoil of the Second World War (1939-1945). In 1968 his son Marchese Piero Antinori (* 1938) took over the management. He is considered the leading figure of the oenological revolution in Italy also in connection with the so-called Super-Tuscans who significantly influenced the quality of Italian wines. He was one of the first to experiment with many other innovations Barrique, In 1961 he became the young oenologist Giacomo Tachis (1933-2016), who acquired legendary fame during his lifetime. Among other things, this initiated the use of the grape variety Cabernet Sauvignon in the Chianti area. He was succeeded by Renzo Cotarella in 1992.
Continuous downpours caused a major accident in 1966. The Arno's waters overflowing poured into the Antinori wine cellar. Not only was a considerable amount of wine destroyed, but toxic chemicals were also introduced. The severe crisis was the reason to completely renovate the house. The French oenologist Émile became a consultant Peynaud (1912-2004) engaged, among other things, temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks introduces. At that time the later became famous Tignanello modeled on that produced by Piero's uncle Nicolò Incisa Sassicaia created. The two wines are considered the beginning of the super Tuscan era.
The three daughters Albiera, Allegra and Alessia follow the family tradition and work in different functions. You took over the operational business from your father. The company now includes 14 wineries in Italy with 20 global joint ventures. These are wineries and wineries in Apulia. Piedmont. Tuscany and Umbria as well as in California, The total area of vines covers around 1,200 hectares. However, the total ownership is far larger. In addition to wine, some goods also produce olive oil. The property also includes the noble restaurants "Cantinetta Antinori" in Florence, Zurich, Wien and Moscow as well as "Procacci" in Florence, Wien and Singapore. Antinori is a member of the renowned family wineries association PFV (Primum Familiae Vini).
The Tenuta Tignanello is the headquarters of the company. The winery was founded in the middle of the 19th century by a branch of the Medici sex bought and located in the heart of Chianti-Classico, 30 kilometers south of Florence. The two top locations are called Tignanello (57 ha in an open southeast position) and Solaia (20 ha after that). The “Bottega Cantina Antinori” headquarters in Bargino on the expressway from Florence to Siena, which was completed in 2013, is considered a landmark of the region. The “Villa Antinori”, the “Chianti Classico Peppoli”, the “Chianti Classico Riserva Marchesi Antinori” and the “Vin Santo del Chianti Classico” are created in the basement of Bargino.
Five kilometers north of Tignanello is Tenuta di Pèppoli, which was acquired in 1985 to mark the 600th anniversary of the Antinori family. The vineyards cover n hectares, mainly with Sangiovese, as well as small amounts of Syrah and Merlot are planted. Olive oil is also produced here. The third mainstay in Chianti Classico is the Badia a Passignano winery, three kilometers south of Tignanello near Santa Cristina. The estate was acquired in 1987. Saint Giovanni Gualberto founded the Vallombroser Order here in 1049, a branch of the Benedictine who specialized in viticulture and forestry. Here became a fossil in 1983 Vitis vinifera found. 56 of the 223 hectares are used for viticulture and are mainly planted with Sangiovese. Top wine is the "Chianti Classico Badia a Passignano Gran Selezione".
The Guado al Tasso estate (ford of the badger) is located near Bolgheri on the Tuscan coast and comprises 300 hectares of vineyards. It will be the DOC white wine Bolgheri and the red wine named after the estate (a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot and a small portion Petit Verdot ) produced. In addition, the rosé "Scalabrone" and the white wine " Vermentino " generated. In 1994 there was one nursery for the purpose of multiplication also for the other goods. The estate is in the immediate vicinity Ornellaia, which formerly belonged to Lodovico Antinori (younger brother of Piero Antinori). Also not far from there is the Biserno estate, the first joint project of the Antinori brothers, led by Lodovico.
In is the winery La Braccesca, acquired in 1990. The vineyards cover 240 hectares. Here, among other things, a Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, the Rosso di Montepulciano "Sabazio", as well as the two Syrah "Achelo" and be generated. The Santa Cristina estate is located near Cortona, where wines are produced under this brand. In Montalcino the Pian delle Vigne winery, which was acquired in 1995 and is named after a railway station, has a Brunello di Montalcino and the Riserva "Vignaferrovia". In the very south of Tuscany are in the Maremma the Fattoria Aldobrandesca near Sovana and the Le Mortelle winery.
The Castello della Sala estate, named after the medieval castle near the historic town of Orvieto in Umbria, was bought in 1940. The varieties are grown on the 160 hectares of vineyards Procanico. Grechetto. Chardonnay. Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Nero ( Pinot Noir ) cultivated. Here the white wine "Cervaro della Sala" and a Orvieto Classico produced. Other wineries are Prunotto (Piedmont), Tormaresca with the two wineries Tenuta Bocca di Lupo and Masseria Maìme (Apulia) and Montenisa with a sparkling wine Franciacorta (Lombardy).
Overseas there are joint ventures and holdings in the Californian wineries Antica in Napa Valley and Stags' Leap Winery, Col Solare in Washington, Haras de Pirque in Chile (with top wine "Albis" after the nickname of Albiera Antinori), Tuzko in Hungary, Meridiana in Malta and Vitis Metamorfosis in Romania. The formerly the group Ruffino and afterwards Francesco Giuntini-Antinori's Selvapiana winery in Pontassieve with 40 hectares is now owned by Stucchi Prinetti, another Antinori branch.