The important Portuguese Madeira house "Blandy's Madeira" was founded in 1811 by the Englishman John Blandy from Dorset. He learned the island Madeira
already know in 1807 when he was on a ship of the army of the English general Sir William Beresford (1768-1854) in defense against a possible attack Napoleon
was assigned. During this time, the just flourishing trade in dessert wine aroused his interest. After his army service, he returned to the island and settled there. As a result, the family acquired extensive possessions. The success of the company, now known as "Blandy Brothers & Co." began in 1852, when son Charles Ridpath Blandy bought up large quantities of mature Madeira. His daughter married in 1874 a Cossart of the wine company Cossart Gordon
In 1925, a majority stake in the company Madeira Wine Company
, The port house Symington
rose in 1988 as the second majority owner. Blandy and Symington are by far the largest Madeira companies with numerous Madeira brands (companies). The company owns no own vineyards, but buys grapes from selected grape farmers. The most important four brands are Blandy, Cossart Gordon
, Leacock and Miles. Of these four former founder or owner families, only blandies are currently employed in the company. In addition to wine production and trading, Blandy Group also operates in the areas of hotel investments, leisure and travel and media in Portugal, the Canary Islands and the United Kingdom.