The winery is located in the southwest of the old town of Saint-Emilion
(Bordeaux) in the area of the same name. The property was acquired in 1760 by Jacques Kanon (a privateer), who named it after a nearby church "Clos St-Martin". The latter sold it to the ten years later Négociant
Raymond Fontémoing, who named the property after a property in his possession called Château Canon (not the first owner). But it was only from the great-granddaughter in 1853 that this name was also used on the label. Finally, the estate was bought by André Fournier in 1919 (the family was one of the first customers of the oenologist Michel Rolland
). In 1996 Eric Fournier then sold it to the Wertheimer family (owner of Chanel), who also owned the Château Rauzan-Ségla
in the Médoc
heard. In the course of the purchase, the vineyards of the Château Curé-Bon
affiliated and highly classified.
The neglected estate at that time was completely renovated, most of the vineyards replanted, the cellar facilities modernized and the château renewed. In 2011 the neighboring winery Chateau Matras
for eight million euros and is history. The establishment was classified as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B" in 2012, but this only applies to the old areas. The aim is also to achieve the higher classification for the Matras areas classified as "Grand Cru Classé". Nicolas Audebert has been John Kolasa's successor since 2014.
The vineyards cover 34 hectares, of which 24 hectares are classified (see above). They are planted with Merlot (65%) and Cabernet Franc (35%). Some rows of vines date from the 1930s. Fermentation takes place at temperatures in the range of 28 to 32 ° Celsius in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks. The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 18 months in 50% to 70% new barriques. Its peak only unfolds after 10 to 15 years. The bottle label is adorned with two crossed cannon tubes. The second wine has been called "Croix Canon" (previously "Clos Canon") since the 2012 vintage.