The French wine empire "Maison M. Chapoutier" headquartered in the town of Tain-l'Hermitage in the wine-growing region Rhone was founded in 1879 by Polydor Chapoutier as Weinhandelshaus founded. Viticulture was operated by the traditional family already since 1808. In 1988 the company was taken over by Michel and Marc Chapoutier in the seventh generation of the family. These made rigorous changes. For example, the old chestnut barrels were replaced by barriques. The yields were so radically restricted that the production volume was reduced by half. The largest part of the vineyards was until the mid-1990s on Biodynamic viticulture changed.
The perfectionist Michel Chapoutier wants to produce wines that have a distinctive character terroir reflect. On the northern Rhône will total 85 hectares in the appellations Châteauneuf-du-Pape with the brands "Barbe-Rac" (Grenache Noir varietal) and "La Bernardine", Côte Rôtie with the brand "La Mordorée", Crozes-Hermitage with the brands "Meysonniers" and "Les Varonniers", Grignan-les-Adhémar. Hermitage (35 ha) with the brands "Chante Alouette", "De l'Orée", "L'Ermite" and "Le Pavillon" and Saint-Joseph managed with the brand "Les Granits". Other possessions are available in the appellations Banyuls. Collioure (both Roussillon) and Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence (Provence). Another property is the winery "Tournon Estate" in South Australia. The approximately 50 hectares of vineyards are also biodynamically farmed. The total possession of the enterprise covers approximately 300 hectares of vineyard.