The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Julien of the eponymous area in Médoc, Already in the Middle Ages, the wine was shipped directly from the harbor at the bottom of the garden. Bishop François de Foix-Candale had the first château (castle) built in 1565. Other owners were Duke and Grand Admiral Jean -Louis de Nogaret de la Valette and his son Bernard, who expanded the construction. Later it came into the possession of the Brassier family, who had it rebuilt in 1757. Since then that counts Chateau the most beautiful and spectacular in the Bordeaux, After several changes of ownership, it was bought in 1986 by the insurance GMF and in 1989 with the Japanese company Suntory the company "Grands Millésimes de France" was formed as a new owner. Finally, in 2011 there was an ownership split between Suntory and the Bordeux trading house Castel Frères,
According to ancient legend, all ships had to be on the Gironde Driving upstream to Bordeaux, greet the Château by lowering the sails. The corresponding command "baisser-voile" (to catch the sails) led to the name Beychevele and later to Beychevelle. The label shows a ship with lowered sails and reminds of the legend. The property comprises a total of 250 hectares. In the Bordeaux Classification in 1855 it was ranked fourth (Quatrième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 90 hectares of vineyards. They are with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (62%), Merlot (31%), Cabernet Franc (5%) and Petit Verdot (2%). The decades-old red wine matures for 15 to 18 months in 50% new oak barrels. The second wines are called "Amiral de Beychevelle" and "Les Brulières de Beychevelle" and are marketed under the AOC Haut-Médoc.