The estate is located in a community appellation Saint-Julien
in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). It all started with Jean-Baptiste Braneyre, who bought land here in the early 18th century. In 1818, his two great-grandchildren Louis and Justin Duluc inherited the property. They built the magnificent Châteaux in 1824 and named it after the founder Château Braneyre (later it became Branaire). Finally, in 1875 the estate was bought by Gustave Ducru, who called it Château Branaire-Ducru. After a few changes of ownership, it has belonged to Patrick Maroteaux since 1988. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 it received fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 50 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (70%), Merlot (22%), Cabernet Franc (5%) and Petit Verdot (3%). The red wine that can be stored for decades is aged for 18 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Château Duluc".