The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Estèphe
or the same area in Médoc
(Haut-Médoc) right on the municipal border to Pauillac. The vineyards were created in 1789 as part of the French Revolution by expropriation from the opposite Château Cos d'Estournel
detached. The first owner after the division was François Labory from 1800 to 1840, who gave the estate its current name. The name part "Cos" is derived from the district name "Caux" (gravelly hill). In 1845 Louis-Gaspard Estournel (1753-1844) bought back the estate, but sold it to the English banker Charles Martyns seven years later. Today it belongs to the Audoy family of Argentine origin. In the Bordeaux classification 1855
it received fifth place (Cinquième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 18 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (35%), Cabernet Franc (10%) and Petit Verdot (5%). The long-lived red wine is aged up to 15 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Le Charme Labory".