The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Julien
in the eponymous area in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). The property, which arose from a division of Barony Beychevelle, was acquired in 1795 by the eponymous Bertrand Ducru. The second part of the name is derived from the pebble floor (beau caillou = beautiful pebble). In the Bordeaux Classification 1855
it received the second rank (Deuxième Cru Classé). Allegedly, the classification is supposedly due to the fact that during the meetings of the classification committee Ducru-Beaucaillou was constantly served.
In 1866, the estate was acquired by the Johnson family, who sold it to Desbartes de Burke in 1928. Finally it was acquired in 1941 by Francis Borie (1890-1953). His son Jean-Eugène Borie (1921-1998) then turned it into a top vineyard. The property is managed today by his second son Bruno Borie (first son is François-Xavier Borie). The ownership of this Borie family branch includes the name Châteaux & Domaines Jean-Eugène Borie
other wineries (see the closely intertwined Borie and Castéja family history below Borie-Manoux
The vineyards cover 70 hectares of vineyards with Cabernet Sauvignon (70%) and Merlot (30%); previously existing small areas with Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot were cleared. The extremely long-lived red wine (the website is called 35 years) is being aged for 18 months in 50 to 80% new oak barrels. He is counted among the "Super-Seconds", which means that he would actually earn the first rank (Premier Cru Classé) because of the high quality. Particularly outstanding vintages are 1966, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999 and 2000. The second wine is called "La Croix de Beaucaillou".