The winery is in the area Pauillac
near the eponymous municipality Milon im Médoc
(Bordeaux). Immediate neighbors are the two famous goods Château Lafite-Rothschild
and Château Mouton-Rothschild
, According to a document from 1815 it belonged to the Mandavy family. Between 1830 and 1840, the estate and another 14 hectares were inherited by the Duhart widow from the Castéja family ( Borie-Manoux
) and got the name Duhart-Milon. According to the Castéja family, the landlord Duhart was a former pirate of King Louis XV. (1710-1774), who retired in Pauillac. The “pirate house” in the port of Pauillac stood until the 1950s and inspired the label from Duhart-Milon. In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855 the estate received fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé).
The winery remained in the family until 1937 and was then dismembered by five different owners. The devastating frost of 1956 took care of the rest. In 1964, the dilapidated property of "Domaines Barons de Rothschild" was purchased with then only 16 hectares. To this company of the French family branch of the Rothschild
that also belongs Château Lafite-Rothschild
, After the takeover, all the vineyards were replanted. Adjacent plots are purchased and others for the purpose Land Consolidation
replaced. At the same time, new wine storage and fermentation cellars were built in Pauillac. The vineyards cover 71 hectares of vineyards planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (30%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged in around half of new barriques for 18 to 24 months. The second wines are called "Moulin de Duhart" and "Baron de Milon".