The winery is located in the municipality Margaux
in the eponymous area in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). Its origins go back to the 15th century when the owner was the noble family Comtes Durfort de Duras. This belonged at that time also vineyards, which in the two later independent wineries Château Margaux
and Château Lascombes
aufgingen. The later US President Thomas Jefferson
(1743-1826) and at that time US ambassador noted on his visit in 1775 that the wines immediately after Château Haut-Brion
. Château Lafite-Rothschild
and Château Margaux. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 it received the second rank (Deuxième Cru Classé). At the beginning of the French Revolution, the family was expropriated in 1789. In 1824, the estate came into the possession of the Durfort-related family Vivens, who added her name. After several changes of ownership, it was from 1937 to 1961 in the same ownership as the Château Margaux, where the vinification took place.
Finally it was in 1961 by Lucien Lurton
acquired. Since his death in 1992, it is led by son Gonzague Lurton. In the mid-1990s, investments were made in new cellar facilities. The vineyards cover 32 hectares and are planted with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (70%), Merlot (20%) and Cabernet Franc (10%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 18 to 20 months in one-third new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Segond de Durfort" (formerly "Domaine de Cure-Bourse"). It also produces wines called "Relais de Durfort" and "Vivens Rouge".