The estate is located in the municipality of Léognan in the area Pessac-Léognan
(Bordeaux), but may not with the name-like Château Haut-Batailley
(Pauillac) be confused. It is classified as "Cru Classé". The traditional property was acquired in 1630 by the eponymous Parisian banker Firmin Le Bailly. After many ownership changes, it came to a decline. In 1955, the Belgian wine merchant Daniel Sanders (+1980) bought the estate and made a successful revitalization. His son Jean Sanders sold it in 1998 to the American banker Robert G. Wilmers. But it is run by Jean Sanders' granddaughter Veronique Sanders. The vineyards cover 30 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (25%) and Cabernet Franc (10%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 16 months in 50% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Le Parde de Haut-Bailly". Unlike most Graves wineries, no white wine is produced.