The winery is located in the municipality Pomerol in the area of the same name (Bordeaux). The name derives from the location next to the old church of Saint Jean de Pomerol (eglise = church), which was built by the Templars in the 12th century. The very old estate in its current form was founded in 1882 by Monsieur Mauleon-Rouchut by merging the Clos de l'Eglise and Domaine de Clinet plots, from which the current name is derived. It has been run by the descendant Denis Durantou since 1983. The vineyards cover six hectares with the varieties Merlot (85%) and Cabernet Franc (15%).
The long-lived red wine is half new in up to 18 months expanded. The 1899 vintage is considered Century wine, at that time the winery or the wine was still called Clos L'Eglise-Clinet. The famous English taster Michael Broadbent (1927-2020) dubbed this wine almost perfect. At a tasting in 1999, the hundred-year-old wine was rated with the superlatives "finest raspberry flavors, wonderfully fine sweetness, incredible freshness, long finish". The second wine is called "La Petite Eglise".