The estate is located in the municipality of Talence in the area Pessac-Léognan
(Bordeaux). The origins date back to 1540, when the nobleman Louis de Roustain sold the Arrejedhuys plot to the wine merchant Arnaud de Lestonnac. Lestonnac was the husband of Marie, the sister of Jean de Pontac (1488-1589), the owner of the neighboring one Château Haut-Brion
, The Lestonnac family owned the Haut Brion wineries for a while and later that Chateau Margaux
, The Château La Mission Haut-Brion remained in family ownership until 1664. This year it was transferred from Catherine de Mullet to the Catholic Lazarist Order "Mission Saint-Vincent-de-Paul". During this period of spiritual possession, it was given its current name. The order's leader Père Simon subsequently helped the estate to a great upswing.
Marshal learned as governor of the province of Guyenne Richelieu
(1696-1788) know and love the wines of La Mission. One day he tries a particularly remarkable one. His servant informed him that it was a Haut-Brion mission. Thereupon the marshal is said to have exclaimed: "If God did not want us to drink, why would he have made this wine so well?"
In the course of the French Revolution, the property was expropriated at the end of the 18th century and at an auction of martial arts in 1792 Victor Vaillant acquired. His descendants sold it to Célestin Chiapella (1774-1867), a native of the United States, in 1821. His son Jérôme had the vineyard surrounded and built a magnificent, wrought iron portal. Exports to the USA were intensified. The wine received a gold medal at the World Exhibition in London in 1862.
Jérôme Chiapella transferred the estate to the Société Anonyme des Etablissements Duval of Paris in 1884, which was then acquired by the wine merchant Ferdinand de Constans in 1895 and became the property of the wine dealer Victor Coustau in 1903, who also owned the neighboring one Château La Tour-Haut-Brion
belonged. The latter then sold the Château La Mission Haut-Brion in 1919 to his friend Frédéric Otto Woltner (* 1865). His sons Fernand and Henri contributed significantly to improvements. They used cement fermentation tanks enamelled in Bordeaux for the first time for better temperature control and improved the quality of the white wine. After Victor Coustau's death, the Woltner brothers took over the winemaking for friendship. In 1935, Marie Coustau left the estate in thanks. Henri Woltner ran it until his death in 1974.
The heir Francis Dewavrin, husband of one of the Woltner daughters, then sold both wineries in 1983 to the American family Dillon, the under Domaine Clarence Dillon
managed a number of other important wineries. The CLMHB vineyards cover 21 hectares of vineyards planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (48%), Merlot (45%) and Cabernet Franc (7%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for up to 24 months in 100% new barriques. The massive, deep dark wine differs markedly from the "feminine" Château Haut-Brion and, in contrast, is considered "masculine". outstanding vintages
are 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 and seamlessly from 1993 to 2000. In the Graves List
the red wine is classified as "Cru Classé". The second wine produced since 1991 is called "La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion".