The winery is located west of the municipality Saint-Julien
in the same area in Médoc
(Bordeaux). It must not be with the same name Château Lagrange
to be confused in Pomerol. It is believed that the first vineyards were planted at the beginning of the 18th century by Baron Joseph de Brane, who at the time also did so Château Mouton-Rothschild
(then Château Mouton) belonged. In 1787, Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), the then ambassador of the United States to France, certified the estate as a third class. Shortly afterwards it was purchased by the dealer Jean-Valère Cabarrus (1758-1829) in 1796 and expanded to 300 hectares through land purchases. After an eventful history with numerous changes of ownership, it became 1983 at the Japanese distillery and wine trade multi Suntory
sold. Only 157 hectares remained, of which only 56 were planted.
At the advice of Professor Émile Peynaud
(1912-2004) the management of the Marcel Ducasse estate was transferred. The latter primarily re-planted the vineyards and then had the cellars and farm buildings modernized and converted. Peynaud subsequently described it as a "dream good" and that there were no comparable cellar facilities in Bordeaux. Michel Delon also stood by for ten years Château Léoville-Las-Cases
helpful to the side. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 the estate received third place (Troisième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 113 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (28%) and Petit Verdot (7%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 18 months in 60% new barriques. The second wine is called "Les Fiefs-de-Lagrange". Since 1997, the white wine "Les Arums de Lagrange" has been produced from the varieties Sauvignon Blanc, Sémillon and Muscadelle from four hectares of vineyards.