The winery is located in the northwest of the municipality Saint-Emilion
(Bordeaux) in the same area. Supposedly on the property is the cave or hermitage, where in the 7th century the Saint Emilion (Aemilianus) lived, the town and area gave the name. The estate was founded in 1816 by the wine merchant Pierre Lacoste. It has been run by Arnaud de la Filolie since 1988, the seventh generation of the family. The farm is classified as "Grand Cru Classé", which was last confirmed in 2012. The vineyards cover 5 hectares of vineyards with Merlot (80%), Cabernet Sauvignon (15%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 12 to 15 months in 50% new barrels. The second wine is called "Chapelle de Laniote".