The winery is located in the municipality Margaux in the same area in Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). The first owner is the Durfort de Duras family, who planted the first vineyards in the 15th century and managed the estate for centuries. The family also belonged at that time Château Durfort-Vivens and the Lascombes area was originally part of it. During the French Revolution, the estate came into state ownership for a few years. Jean-François Lascombes then led it to the top, in a magazine in 1838 it was equal to that Chateau Margaux called. In the Bordeaux classification 1855 the estate received second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). In 1952 the estate was owned by a US consortium and was owned by Alexis Lichine (1913-1989). In 1971 it was sold to the Bass Charrington brewery. Finally, in 2001, it was a $ 67 million donation to the US pension fund Colony Capital. The entire estate comprises a total of 110 hectares, of which the vineyards make up 84 hectares of vineyards. These are with Merlot (50%), Cabernet Sauvignon (45%) and Petit Verdot (5%) planted. The long-lived red wine is aged for 20 months in 80% new barriques. The second wine the house is called "Chevalier de Lascombes".