The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Julien
in the eponymous area in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). It originated from a tripartite division of the former Château Léoville. One of them acquired in 1826, the Irish -born Hugh Barton
(1766-1854). The present structure gave the winery Ronald Barton (1902-1986), who had passed in the 1980s, the management of his nephew Anthony Barton. The other two parts are called today Château Léoville-Las-Cases
and Château Léoville-Poyferré
, The family also owns the neighborhood acquired in 1821 Château Langoa-Barton
where the wines of both Châteaux are produced. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855, Château Léoville-Barton took second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 47 hectares of vineyards, with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (72%), Merlot (20%) and Cabernet Franc (8%) are planted. The extremely long-lived red wine matures for 20 months in 50% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "La Réserve de Léoville-Barton".