The winery is located in the municipality Margaux
in the eponymous area in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). His immediate neighbor is the famous Château Margaux
, In 1661, a large estate was bought by the merchant Pierre des Mesures de Rausan (Rauzan) of the Gassies family. This resulted in the wineries Château Desmirail
. Château Rauzan-Gassies
. Château Rauzan-Ségla
and the objective Château Marquis-de-Terme. In 1762 it came by marriage as a dowry of Elizabeth de Ledoulx d'Emplet in the possession of the Marquis de Terme François de Peguilhan. During his visit to Bordeaux in May 1787, the then US ambassador to France gave Thomas Jefferson
(1743-1826) visit the estate.
After varied history with many owners, the estate finally came in 1935 in the possession of the wine merchant Pierre Sénéclauze from Marseille. Today, his three sons Jean, Philippe and Pierre-Louis Sénéclauze run the business. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855, the estate received the fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 38 hectares of vineyards in the municipalities of Margaux and Cantenac and are planted with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (35%), Petit Verdot (7%) and Cabernet Franc (3%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 18 months in one-third new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Les Gondats de Marquis de Terme".