The estate is located in the municipality of Cantenac Margaux in the Médoc (Bordeaux) in the immediate vicinity of the famous Chateau Margaux, Originally it was called Château de Gasqu after the first owner, the wine was brought to the court Louis XIV (1638-1715) delivered. Around 1816, the estate was sold by Jeanne de Gasque to Major General Charles Palmer (1777-1851), who served under Arthur Wellington (1769-1852). Until 1831, Palmer acquired further plots in the municipalities of Cantenac, Issan and Margaux. When the Chateau Dubignon part of the vineyards was added to the estate. After all, the entire estate comprised over 160 hectares, of which 82 hectares were vineyards. After the general's bankruptcy in 1843, there were several changes of ownership and a reduction in the number of vines. In the 1930s, the rest of the estate was owned by a syndicate of three families sickle, Mähler-Besse, Ginestet and Mialhe (the Mialhe family owned the Château Pichon-Longueville Comtesse, the Ginestet family previously owned shares in Château Margaux). The successors of the first two families still run the winery today.
In the Bordeaux classification 1855 it received third place (Troisième Cru Classé). This "mediocre" classification was due to the renovation for the château and the restructuring of the vineyards that had not yet been completed (these were also evaluation criteria). It couldn't have been because of the wine quality, because the red wine is said to have at least equaled the Premier Crus. The main building with high towers on every corner is one of the most beautiful in the Médoc. The château flies the English, Dutch and French flags as symbols of the nationalities of its previous owners. The vineyards cover 52 hectares of vineyards in the two municipalities Margaux and Cantenac. You are with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (47%), Merlot (47%) and Petit Verdot (6%) planted. The red wine, which can be stored for decades, matures in 18 to 24 months in one third new ones , Legendary vintages were 1961 (100 points from Robert Parker = perfect wine), 1983 and 1989. The second wine is called "Alter Ego de Palmer" (formerly "Réserve du Général").