The winery is located in the municipality Moulis
(Moulis-en-Médoc) in the area of the same name in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). In the Bordeaux Classification
According to the old system, which is no longer valid, it was last classified as "Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel" in 2003. The vineyards had been known under the name "Salles de Poujeaux" since the 16th century and were in the same ownership as Château Latour
, Until the beginning of the 19th century, the Gressier family owned this part of the vineyard called “Grand-Poujeaux”. The extensive property was acquired by the dealer André Castaing in 1806. In 1820 there was an inheritance division, from which subsequently Château Chasse-Spleen
. Château Gressier Grand-Poujeaux
. Château Maucaillou
and Château Poujeaux emerged. In 1880, the object in question was divided into three parts.
François Theil acquired a third in 1921. His son Jean, who was responsible for the estate from 1957, managed to buy the other two thirds and combine the vineyards. In 1981 he handed the management over to the sons François, Jean-Pierre and Philippe. At the beginning of 2008, the property for 25 million euros was owned by Philippe Cuvelier, who too Clos Fourtet
heard. It is run by son Mathieu Cuvelier. The entire property covers around 100 hectares; 53 hectares are planted in a contiguous plot with Cabernet Sauvignon (50%), Merlot (40%), Cabernet Franc (5%) and Petit Verdot (5%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 12 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Château La Salle-de-Poujeaux".