The winery is located in the municipality of Fargues of the area Sauterne
(Bordeaux). The name is derived from a small brook (French Ruisseau), which it is famous from the east adjacent Château d'Yquem
separates. In the 18th century it was owned by the monks of the Carmes de Langon monastery. At the beginning of the French Revolution, it was seized around 1790 and sold to M. Marheilhac. After frequent change of ownership, the estate was bought in 1971 by Albert Vuillier. Finally it was acquired in 1984 by "Domaines Barons de Rothschild". To this company of the French family branch of the Rothschild
that too is part of that Château Lafite-Rothschild
, In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 the estate was classified as "Premier Cru Classé". The total estate covers 110 hectares, of which 68 hectares are planted with Semillon (90%), Sauvignon Blanc (8%) and Muscadelle (2%). The extremely long-lasting noble sweet white wine is aged for 18 to 24 months in 70% new oak barrels. Of the quality he is often equated to the Château d'Yquem. The "Crème de Tête" is a rarely produced special selection. The second wines are called "Clos Labère" and "Carmes de Rieussec". The dry "R de Château Rieussec" is made from 50% Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon.