The winery is located in the municipality of Martillac in the area Pessac-Léognan in Graves (Bordeaux). The origin dates back to the middle of the 14th century, when the aristocratic Bosq family cultivated wine. In 1720, the property was bought by Scotsman George Smith. After several ownership changes, the estate has been owned by the Cathiard family since 1990. Today it is run by Daniel and Florence Cathiard. In the restructuring, the oenologists Michel Rolland (Born 1947), Pascal Ribéreau-Gayon (1930-2011) and Stéphane Derenoncourt (1963) advisory support. The vineyards cover 56 hectares of vineyards. Of these, 45 are the red wines Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (35%) and Cabernet Franc (10%), as well as 11 with the white wine varieties Sauvignon Blanc (90%), Sémillon (5%) and Sauvignon Gris (5%). The long-lived red wine will be 20 months in 50 to 80% new expanded. Only this is classified according to the Graves classification as "Cru Classé". The second wine is called "Les Hauts de Smith". The white wine is aged for 12 months in 50% new oak barrels.