The estate is located in the municipality of Saint-Seurin-de-Cadourne in the area Saint-Estèphe
in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). The origin goes back to a Basque nobleman Sociando, who is called in 1633 as the owner. After the French Revolution (1789-1799), the property was confiscated and came into the possession of a Monsieur Lamothe, after which it was formerly named. The last part of the name was headed by a sea captain named Mallet as the next owner. In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855, the château was not taken into consideration, which had nothing to do with the already high quality of the wines. The winery was simply too far north for the samples brought to Bordeaux for tasting. According to experts, today would earn the second place (Deuxième Cru Classé).
In the 20th century, the estate often changed hands. Finally, in 1969, the rundown estate with only five hectares of vineyards by Jean Gautreau taken. This expanded the vine inventory many times and introduced rigorous quality criteria. From the 1980s, it developed into a true cult vineyard. In the 2003, and now no longer valid classification classification, it was not ranked in the highest level "Cru Bourgeois Exceptionnel", but only as "Cru Bourgeois". As a result, the self-confident Jean Gautreau consequently renounced participation. The vineyards cover 66 hectares of vines with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (40%), Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot (5%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged in 100% new oak barrels and bottled without beauty or filtration. The second wine is called "La Demoiselle de Sociando-Mallet".