The winery is located in the municipality appellation Saint-Julien
in the Médoc
, It bears the name of the former owner General John Talbot (1384-1453). This last commander of the English province of Aquitaine died in 1453 at the Battle of Castillon against the French. The estate has been owned by the family since 1918 Cordier
(but no longer relates to the Cordier group). In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 the estate received fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover a total of 107 hectares of vineyards. 102 hectares are planted with the red varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (66%), Merlot (26%), Petit Verdot (5%) and Cabernet Franc (3%). The remaining five hectares are planted with the white varieties Sauvignon Blanc (84%) and Sémillon (16%). The red wine that can be stored for decades is aged for 15 to 18 months in 60% new barriques. The second wine is called "Connétable Talbot". The unclassified white wine is called "Caillou Blanc". It is marketed as "one of the oldest Médoc white wines".