The winery (formerly Château Clos Fourtet) is located opposite the main entrance to the old town of Saint-Emilion
in the area of the same name (Bordeaux). In the Middle Ages there was a fortification called "Camfourtet" (Camp Fourtet) at this point. Viticulture was started in the mid-18th century by Léon Rulleau. The château was built by his nephew Elie Rulleau. In 1868 the family changed the name to "Clos Fourtet". In 1919 the estate was bought by Fernand Ginestet and in 1949 it became the property of the Empire Lurton
and was finally sold to Philippe Cuvelier in January 2001 for a reported $ 66.8 million. It has been classified as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B" since 1955. The vineyards cover 19 hectares of vines with Merlot (85%), Cabernet Sauvignon (10%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The long-lived red wine matures in 18% new barriques for up to 18 months. The second wine is called "Domaine de Martialis".