The port wine house in the postage -Vorstadt Vila Nova de Gaia was founded in 1815 by the two Scots Robert Cockburn and George Wauchope. In 1828 William Greig became the third partner. A year later, the founding sons Archibald and Alexander Cockburn entered the business and opened a branch in London. When Brothers Henry and John Smithies joined in 1845, the company was renamed Cockburn Smithies & Co. John Smithies married Eleanor Cobb. The two families then stayed in the company for many generations. Peter Cobb was the last to join in 1960 and from 1980 to the year 1999 until 1999.
In 1962 it was from the Sherry House Harvey's acquired, which had bought a year earlier the Cockburn competitor Martinez Gassiot. Gordon Guimarãens (from the house Fonseca Guimarãens ) took over the function of the cellar master of both port companies. Then Cockburn took possession of Allied Domecq until finally in 2005 by the US multi Fortune Brands was acquired. The estate includes Quintas do Tua, Quinta da Santa Maria, Quinta de Val Coelho, Quinta do Atayde and Quinta dos Canais with a total of 1,000 hectares of vineyards. It will port wines Produced in popular styles, the flagship is the Vintage Special Reserve.