The oldest Madeira house on the Portuguese island was founded in 1745 by Scotsman Francis Newton, initially supported by his brother Thomas. Their compatriot Thomas Gordon was added in 1758. The Irishman William Cossart joined the company in 1808, but the present name did not come about until his nephew Peter Cossart took part in 1831. In the early years, the company was particularly successful in the United States, where Madeira was very popular. Thus, for example, in 1776, the American Declaration of Independence with Madeira
sealed. Cossart Gordon produces almost all Madeira types. In 1953, Cossart Gordon joined the Madeira Wine Company
at, where the companies Blandy
own the majority shares.