The history of this traditional noble family dates back to the 13th century. As Deputies of the Kings of Hungary they were partisans and confidants of the House of Habsburg and held highest office. The battle of Lackenbach in October 1620 between Count Nikolaus Esterházy (1583-1645) and Hungarian and Bohemian rebels is the story of flag Wavers and the eponymous brand wine from Neckenmarkt back. In 1622, Count Nikolaus got as thanks for his loyalty of Emperor Ferdinand II (1578-1637) for 400,000 Hungarian Guilders the lordships of Eisenstadt and Forchtenstein pledged. This was the beginning of the rise to the mightiest magnate family (noble landowners) of the Hungarian crown.
Since the Emperor could not repay the enormous sum, Forchtenstein in 1626 and Eisenstadt in 1647 Esterházy'sches genetic material. The composer Joseph Haydn (1732-1809) entered the service of Prince Nicholas II Esterházy de Galantha (1765-1833) in 1761 and later became Court Kapellmeister at his court. Here were his most beautiful works, as a reward was partly wine from the princely cellars contractually agreed. At this time Esterházy wine was exported to Bohemia, Moravia, Silesia and Poland. Also the ruler Maria Theresa (1717-1780) stayed here in 1773 and enjoyed the wine from the castle cellar. And Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) was on a visit in the face of the impressive treasures from the "Esterházy treasury "To sweep the winged word" Esterházy fairy kingdom ".
The house Esterházy influenced in the consequence significantly the Burgenland viticulture. Paul V. Prince Esterházy (1901-1989) as the twelfth prince finally had to accept the division of his estates in 1921. The western counties Wieselburg, Ödenburg and Eisenburg were named Burgenland as the ninth state to the new Republic of Austria, including 60,000 hectares Estarházy'scher possession. However, the larger property was on Hungarian soil. He established freight directorates for the management of possessions in two countries. After the end of the Second World War in 1946 all Estarházy'schen possessions were expropriated in Hungary. In 1948 Prince Paul V. had to undergo a show trial together with Cardinal Mindszenty. After serving an 8-year imprisonment, he was released in 1956 during the popular uprising, lived from now in Switzerland and led from there his Austrian goods. His wife, Princess Melinda Esterházy, a universal heir to some 51,000 hectares of land, founded three foundations until 1996.
For more than 350 years, the Esterházy estate was first housed in the Donnerskirchen Meierhof and then, from 1947, in the historic cellars of the Esterházy Palace in Eisenstadt. Due to constantly growing requirements, a new state-of-the-art Winery was built in Trausdorf, with eye contact with the Esterházy Castle in Eisenstadt, with an investment of six million euros winemaking Is provided. She went into operation with the 2006 vintage. The vineyard is headed by Stefan Tscheppe, with the well-known French oenologist Stepháne as consultant Derenoncourt active. Mate Eelek, oenologist and winemaker Alexander Wapp, is responsible for the vineyard management.
In red wine preparation are the procedures Cryomaceration. mash heating, Overlay with inert gas. maceration with immersion (Pigeage) or overpumping, such as micro-oxygenation and macrooxygenation possible. The grapes are processed from the delivery to the finished wine directly in the white and red wine cellars. The storage room for the maturation of red wines with 600 is equipped with a 14 m long and 3.5 m high wall of natural clay, which for optimum temperature and humidity provides. The bottle storage capacity is 600,000 bottles. A state-of-the-art laboratory serves as a control room with various control options such as refrigeration and heating technology and temperature control of the tanks.
The vineyards cover 42 hectares of vineyards west of the lake Neusiedl and on the slopes of the Leithagebirges in the communities Großhöflein (Rieden Föllig, Tatschler ) Rust (Hochbaumgartner, Hundertpfunder, Kulm, Vogelsang ), St. Georgen (nursery, Großer Feurer, Kleiner Feurer, Krainer, Krakauer, tailor's section) and St. Margarethen (Lama, Hartmisch). They all belong to the Burgenland DAC area Leithaberg, Two-thirds of the red wines . Cabernet Sauvignon. Merlot. Pinot Noir and Zweigelt, as well as one third of the white wine varieties Chardonnay. Pinot Blanc. Sauvignon Blanc and cultured.
The large product range includes wines in the four lines Classic (traditionally developed varietal wines), Estoras (Latin for Esterházy, red wine and white wine cuvées), Single Cru (matured in oak barrels) and the premium red wine cuvée "Tesoro" (Treasury) from Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. The labels show the old baroque castle in Eisenstadt (Classic), the Order of the Golden Fleece, which many Esterházy princes wore (Estoras), and historical personalities from the Esterházy ancestral gallery (Single Cru).
Since 2006, 15 hectares of vineyards on the Hungarian Side of the lake (Ödenburger Rieden). They are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. The grapes are brought across the border to Trausdorf and processed here. The brand wine made from it is marketed as a tribute to the "house composer" under the name "Haydn". Every year around 350,000 bottles of wine are produced. It also produces fine brandies (wine, pomace, fruit and fruit), liqueurs and flaschenvergorene sect. Worth mentioning is the "Wine Museum Burgenland" in the historic cellar vaults of the Esterházy Palace. Here over 700 objects of the antiquity until today a historical and cultural-historical overview of viticulture in Burgenland. Focal points are drinking culture, Cellar technology, vineyard and wine trade,