The estate is located in Trier (Bernkastel area) in the German wine-growing region Moselle, The origins of the former foundation winery date back to 1561, when the Jesuit college in Trier was opened. The vineyard comes mainly from donations from Archbishop Johann vd Leyen and Archbishop Jacob zu Eltz (1561–1581). In 1773 the Jesuit college was dissolved and continued as the "Electoral High School". By imperial decree Napoleon (1769-1821) the vineyards were returned to the school in 1805. The possessions were preserved even in Prussian times. The French "Collège" was renamed "Friedrich-Wilhelm-Gymnasium" in 1896. In 2003 the winery was taken over by the Episcopal Seminary in Trier, one of the partners of Episcopal wineries Trier,
The vineyards cover 30 hectares of classic vines steep slopes at the Mittelmosel in Bernkastel (Bath room), Graach ( Domprobst and Heaven ) and Trittenheim ( pharmacy ) on 17 hectares, as well as on the Saar next to Trier on the Falkensteiner Hof (single location Hofberg) with 13 hectares. You are only with , The namesake is Friedrich Wilhelm III. (1770-1840), who was born at Sanssouci Palace (Kingdom of Prussia). According to the legend, “Fritz Willi” was happy to be five and enjoyed one or more glasses of Mosel Riesling in high company with feet up. The Prussian king Frederick II the Great was his great uncle. Since the 2014 vintage there is a wine line named after him "Fritz Willi".