The famous winery with headquarters in Cuneo (near Barbaresco) in the Italian region Piedmont
was founded in 1859 by Angelo Gaja. The farm was one of the region's first bottle bottlers; The grandfather of the present owner supplied already at the end of the 19th century, the Italian army in Abyssinia with bottled wine. His son Giovanni Gaja (1908-2002) enlarged ownership in the 1950s and 1960s and switched from mixed to monoculture. Angelo Gaja (* 1940) continued this effort in the third generation. He graduated in viticulture in Alba and then studied economics at the University of Turin.
In 1969 he took over the family business and, in collaboration with his oenologist Guido Rivella, carried out rigorous quality-enhancing operations Yield-limiting
, controlled fermentation
and early malolactic fermentation. From the newly introduced varieties Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay were wines in the Barrique
generated. With the Barbaresco
From the individual layers Costa Russi, Sori Tildin and Sori San Lorenzo Gaja caused international attention. In 1996, however, he gave up these single-layer designations and now produces the wine under the DOC designation Langhe
, Another pioneering achievement is a red wine in the style of a wine produced under the brand name Vinòt Beaujolais
, The property was constantly enlarged.
In 1988, the 12-hectare Marenca-Rivette
winery was purchased
in Serralunga. Here is one Barolo
made mainly of Nebbiolo and some Barbera under the name "Sperss" (Piedmontese for "nostalgia"). In 1994, the winery Pieve di Santa Restituta was bought in Montalcino, where a Brunello di Montalcino
is produced. Two years later, Gaja founded the winery Ca 'Marcanda in the Maremma
, In the two estates in the Tuscany
In the meantime, 300,000 bottles are produced and in the parent company 70,000 bottles a year.
The estate now covers 90 hectares in Piedmont and 114 hectares in Tuscany (16 hectares in Montalcino and 98 hectares in the Maremma). Gaja is also very active in other areas, for example as a general importer of wine glasses from the Austrian manufacturer Riedel
and foreign top wines such as Château d'Yquem
, In 2005, opposite the winery, a four-star hotel is opened. In the meantime, the two daughters Gaia and Rosanna work in the company. Angelo Gaja is one of the most influential Italian winemakers, is already a living legend and received the loving honorary title "Angelo Nazionale".