The Madeira House was built in 1850 by João Henriques in the town of Câmara de Lobos on the Portuguese island Madeira
founded as a trading house. The traditional Henriques family was one of the largest landowners here in the 15th century. In 1925, they focused exclusively on the marketing of their own wines. Many innovations took place under the leadership of family member John Cossart (1945-2008). The new winery "Ribeira do Escrivão" was completed in 1992 with a total investment of 6 million dollars. In 1995, the new winery "Quinta Grande" was put into operation, where the largest vineyard on the island is cultivated with ten hectares of vineyards. The company is the only Madeira house with its own vineyard property. It is still family property today and since 2008 has been owned by Dr. Ing. Humberto Jardim (President) and Luís Pereira (Director of Production).