The winery is located in the south of the municipality Pomerol
in the same named area (Bordeaux) exactly between the two famous neighbors Château Cheval Blanc
(Saint-Émilion) and Château Pétrus
(Pomerol). The estate was founded in 1741 by the Léglise family under the name "Fazilleau". At the beginning of the 19th century, it was sold to the lawyer Isambert, who named it after the gospel. Then in 1862 it went to Paul Chaperon, after his death to the Ducasse family until it was finally sold in 1990 to the "Domaines Barons de Rothschild". To this company of the French Rothschild branch
that too is part of that Château Lafite-Rothschild
, The last owner Madame Ducasse and her adviser Michel Rolland
were still active until 1999.
From the year 1998, the entire vineyards were restored and partially renewed and completed by 2004, the renovation of the fermentation cellars and the vineyard. In 2012, 6 hectares of land were purchased and incorporated by the Château La Croix de Gay. This extended the vineyards from 16 to 22 hectares. The pebbly soil mixed with sand and clay is also very similar to that of Pétrus. It is planted with the varieties Merlot (80%) and Cabernet Franc (20%), which are on average 30 years old (2014). The long-lived red wine matures for 18 months in 70% new barriques. Every year, 2,000 to 3,000 boxes are produced. The second wine is called "Blason de L'Évangile".