The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Julien
in the eponymous area in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). It was built in 1840 from a tripartite division of Château Léoville, which are two others Château Léoville-Las-Cases
and Château Léoville-Barton
, By marriage with Jeanne de Las-Cases, the part with the Château came into the possession of Baron Poyferré and got its present name. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 the estate received the second rank (Deuxième Cru Classé). After several ownership changes, it was bought in 1920 by the Cuvelier family. From the year 1979 Didier Cuvelier took over the management. From the mid-1990s was the oenologist Michel Rolland
Support provided. The vineyards cover 80 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (25%), Petit Verdot (8%) and Cabernet Franc (2%). The extremely long-lived red wine matures for 18 to 20 months in 75% new oak barrels. The second wine until the year 2001 was called "Pavillon des Connetables", from 2002 "Château Moulin-Riche".