The traditional winery is located in the municipality Mertesdorf (Ruwer area) on the outskirts of Trier am Grüneberg in the German wine-growing region Moselle, According to a deed of donation of the Frankish king Dagobert I. (608-639) from 633 is attested that the Trierer Benedictine monastery St. Maximin had already owned in Mertesdorf at this time in buildings, vineyards and estates. This was then 966 by Emperor Otto I (912-973), the successor of Charlemagne (742-814) confirmed. Much of the vineyard was created later. Until 1802 Maximin Grünhaus was managed by the Benedictine abbey. In the course of secularization under Napoleon (1769-1821) was the operation until 1810 under French administration. This year bought after one auction the first worldly owner of the estate, which was then acquired in 1882 by the great-great-grandfather of the current owner. Since 1981, the estate in the sixth generation of Maximin von Schubert, son of dr. Carl von Schubert, led. The administrator and cellar master is Dipl. Ing. Stefan Kraml.
The closed vineyard Maximin Greenhouse on the southern slope of the Grüneberg covers a total of 34 hectares of vineyards, with the varieties Riesling (90%), Pinot Blanc (6%) and Pinot Noir The name "Grünhaus" (green grass) is probably derived from the occasional veins of Diabas (greenstone), a marble-like greenish volcanic rock, and the old monastery building was laid out in green for centuries the three are in the soil type quite clearly distinguishing individual layers (left to right in the picture) Herrenberg, Abtsberg and Bruderberg. They correspond in terms of quality of monastic hierarchy brothers (wine for the simple monastery brother), canons (wine for the Maximiner canons) and abbot (wine of the abbots of the abbey of St. Maximin). All three are since 1882 in the monopoly ownership the family.
The south-east to south-west aligned Abtsberg in the form of a crest at 140 to 270 meters above sea level with 40 to 75% slope Tilt covers 14 hectares of vineyards. He was first mentioned in documents in 966. Viticulture was probably operated here already in the fourth century. This part is located in a side valley of the Ruwer. He is considered the most prestigious location of the winery. In addition to Riesling Pinot Noir is grown here. The subsoil consists mainly of bluish Devonian slate. In the center are the best plots, The continuous area of the Abstberg forms a flowing transition to Herrenberg. The soil tends to be shallower and more skeletal than in the Herrenberg, which is reflected in the pronounced minerality reflects the wines. The wines are characterized by extreme longevity out.
The oriented to the southeast Herrenberg in 190 to 290 meters above sea level with 20 up to 60% slope covers 19 hectares of vineyards. Here, in addition to Riesling and Pinot Blanc cultivated. The part adjacent to the deforestation is very similar in terms of soil condition and orientation. The rear part is cooler, less steep and is covered by the forest of the Grüneberg. Here, too, dominated Devon slate, which appears reddish in the Herrenberg. In the past, the wines were somewhat in the shade of the wines of Abtsberg. Due to the changing climatic conditions today the Rieslings of the two layers are qualitatively equivalent. The wines also have extraordinary ability to develop and can mature over decades.
The aligned to the east to southeast Bruderberg in 140 to 170 meters above sea level with 50 to 70% slope covers only one hectare of vineyards, which is planted exclusively with Riesling. It is crossed by a well-preserved Roman aqueduct. As in Abtsberg, bluish Devonian slate dominates. The adjacent forest provides strong protection from the northwestern cold. An early morning sun as well as an early evening shade make it the coolest location of our winery, where racy, lively Rieslings emerge.
The wines are largely with vineyard and cellar own natural yeasts fermented spontaneously and in the cool cellars mostly in the traditional big oak barrel expanded. The historical label shows the coat of arms of the von Schubert family and a view of Grünhaus with the vineyards. For the quality and Cabinet wines is a white-green capsule, from the predicate late vintage a long, black and white coat of arms capsule used. The winery is a member of the associations VDP (Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter) and The goods,