The winery is located in the municipality of Pessac in the area Pessac-Léognan in Graves (Bordeaux). It is one of the oldest wineries in Bordeaux, since it was founded in 1300 by the then Archbishop of Bordeaux Bertrand de Goth (1264-1314). He chose the city of Avignon as his residence in 1309 as Pope Clement V, thus establishing the French exile of the Popes, which lasted until 1377. The label shows therefore even today the papal insignia. Clemens left the estate to the diocese Bordeaux, Due to the French Revolution, the estate was confiscated in 1791 and sold to the banker Charles Peixotto. Under the subsequent owner Jean-Baptiste Clerc it experienced a heyday. This enlarged the vineyards considerably and also left that Chateau edify. After varied history with numerous owners was in 1937 by hailstorm destroyed most of the vineyards.
Two years later it was bought by Paul Montagne and with the support of Émile Peynaud (1912-2004) rebuilt. Today there is a partnership between Paul's son, Leo Montagne, and Bernard Magrez, who is responsible for the operation. Advising was the well-known oenologist Michel Rolland (* 1947). The vineyards cover 32.5 hectares of vineyards. Of these, 30 hectares are the red wines Cabernet Sauvignon (60%) and Merlot (40%), as well as 2.5 hectares with the white wine varieties Sémillon (45%), Sauvignon Blanc (45%) and Muscadelle (10%) planted. The extremely long-lived red wine matures 24 months in at least 70 to 100% new , Only this is classified according to the Graves classification as "Cru Classé". The two second wines are called "Le Clementin du Pape-Clément" and "Le Prelat du Pape-Clément". The white wine is aged for 12 months in barriques.