The estate is located 1.5 kilometers southeast of the city Saint-Emilion
in the same area (Bordeaux). The name Pavie derives from the French name for vineyard peach. In the first edition of the work "Bordeaux et ses vins" by Cocks & Féret
dating back to 1850, Château Pavie is mentioned as the region's leading estate. At that time it belonged to the Talleman family and then to the wine merchant Ferdinand Bouffard. This enlarged the property through acquisition and inheritance on a total of 50 hectares. He consolidated the entire area under the name "Pavie", but named the wines of plots on the plateau as "Pavie-Decesse". After the First World War, Albert Porte took over the estate and sold it in 1943 to Alexandre Valette. After his death in 1967 the property was distributed to several branches of the family.
Finally, in 1998, the former wholesale chain owner Gérard Perse took over the estate for a total of 30.8 million US dollars. This already had the wineries Château La Clusière
. Château Monbousquet
and Château Pavie-Decesse
Bought. High sums have been invested in the modernization of the winery and the oenologist Michel Rolland
engaged as a consultant. Above the parcel of Pavie join the surfaces of the Château La Clusière. These are also included in the wine of Château Pavie since 2002. In 2012, the company was highly classified as "Premier Grand Cru Classé A". The mostly steep vineyards cover 37 hectares of vineyards. They are planted with Merlot (60%), Cabernet Franc (30%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (10%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 18 months in 100% new oak barrels.