The winery is located in the municipality Pauillac in the same area in Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux) in the immediate vicinity of the famous Château Latour, The land was acquired by Pierre de Mazure de Rauzan between 1686 and 1689 (he was also the owner of the later divided Chateau Rauzan in Margaux ). That was the time in the Médoc, when there were still few vineyards here and only then was it started to dry out the extensive swamps and to do wine-growing. His daughter married Baron Jacques de Pichon-Longueville in 1694, who was the first President of the Parliament of Bordeaux. From then on the estate was called "Château Pichon-Longueville". After the death of his descendant Baron Joseph de Pichon-Longueville in 1850, his three daughters Sophie de Pichon, Vicomtesse de Lavaur and Comtesse de Lalande inherited three fifths and his two sons two fifths of the estate. Later, the surviving son Raoul took over these two fifths, from which the opposite then followed Château Pichon-Longueville Baron arose.
Comtesse de Lalande inherited her two sisters and called her property "Château Pichon-Longueville Comtesse-de-Lalande". This unusually long term is often abbreviated to "Château Pichon-Comtesse" or "Château Pichon-Lalande". After an eventful history, the estate was bought by the Miailhe family in 1925 and managed by Edouard F. Miailhe for many years, then taken over by his daughter May Elaine de Lencquesaing and managed with an iron hand. Finally, in 2006 acquired the champagne house Roederer the majority shares. In the Bordeaux Classification in 1855 the estate received second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 85 hectares of vineyards and are with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (45%), Merlot (35%), Cabernet Franc (12%) and Petit Verdot (8%) planted. The red wine that can be stored for decades will be 18 to 24 months in 50% new expanded. He is one of the "Super Seconds", so he would earn the "Premier Cru Classé". As Wine of the century applies the vintage 1982, dated wine critic Robert Parker was rated with 100 points. The second wine is called "Réserve da la Comtesse".
Photo: © M. François POINCET - Société Occitmédia