Historically significant sherry and port wine house. The firm was founded in 1790 in London by Scotsman George Sandeman (1765-1841) with a £ 300 loan from his father as a wine shop. He concentrated on sherry and port wine and often toured the growing areas of the two countries. In 1792 he became the representative of the in the Spanish port city of Cádiz (Andalusia) based sherry company James Duff.
In 1809, an office was built in Cádiz under the leadership of Sandeman's partner James Gordon and shipped from there to wine under the name "Sandeman". Among them was the "Sandeman 1790", which made history as the first vintage port. Two years later, a piece of land and a building were purchased in Porto, from where port was shipped all over the world. Due to the great success of the company Sandeman moved with his offices in the St. Swithins Lane no. 20 and adjacent Sherbourne Lane 13. These rooms remained the family's home and Sandeman headquarters until 1969.
After the founder's death, his nephew George Glas Sandeman (1792-1868) took over the company in 1841. He expanded the wine business, offering insurance and exporting British linen and cotton goods. At the time, Sandeman even maintained his own ship known as "Hoopoe" for his speed. Thereafter, the eldest son Albert George (1833-1923) took over the leadership, who in 1868 took his three brothers as a partner. In 1902 the company was converted into a GmbH. The eldest son Walter Albert (1858-1937) became the head of the company in 1923. The famous trademark "Don Sandeman", a black figure with cape coat and hat, was created in 1928.
After Walter Albert's death, his son Henry Gerard Walter Sandeman (1885-1953) headed the company, followed by his brother Patrick Walter, who until his death (1959) Chairman of the Supervisory Board. In 1952 Sandeman was converted into a public limited company and the sons of Patrick Walter followed in the management. A merger with the whiskey -Manufacturer Sandeman from Edinburgh was there in 1963, despite the name equality, there were previously no connections. Then the company was sold in 1980 to the Multi Seagram by 17 million pounds. Finally, in 2002, it was owned by the Portuguese company Sogrape, In 2015, on the occasion of the company's 225th anniversary, the six-bottle "225th Anniversary Collection" (Vintage Port 2000) was launched to tell the company's story.
The subcontractor Sandeman now produces half port and sherry each. In the sherry center Jerez (Andalusia) owns the company about 400 hectares of vineyards. The line in Porto (Port Wine) was taken over in 1991 by George Sandeman, a descendant of already seventh generation family. The most famous sherry brands include Don Fino, Medium Dry Amontillado, Dry Don Amontillado, Armada Cream Oloroso, Royal Corregidor Oloroso, Royal Ambrosante Oloroso and Royal Esmeralda Palo Cortado. The Port Wine brands are Ports Tawny, White, Partner's Ruby and Partner's White. In smaller quantities, high-quality vintage ports are marketed under the name of "Founder's Reserve", which became the best-selling port wine brand in the United States. There is also one in the large product range Madeira,