The estate is located in the municipality of Burg Layen-Rümmelsheim in the German wine-growing region Near
, The origins of "Leyen Castle" go back to the end of the 13th century. It was built on a rocky ridge in the Trollbach valley on the lower reaches of the Nahe shortly before the confluence with the Rhine. Three palace complexes of various noble owners with extensive land and vineyard properties in the area were built in the area. The current castle estate was built in 1802 during the occupation of the nearby region Napoleon Bonapartes
(1769-1821) Troops of Johann Peter Diel (1750-1811) acquired from Heribert Wolfgang Freiherr von Dalberg after the Diel family had leased them for decades. Today the winery is run by Armin Diel
and his daughter Caroline, cellar master is Christoph J. Friedrich.
The vineyards cover a total of 22 hectares of vineyards, the majority of which are in the VDP-Grosse Lagen Castle hill
(Dorsheim), as well as in the VDP first locations Schlossberg
, Hell and Johannisberg (Layen Castle). The large layers are planted exclusively with Riesling, in the first layers the varieties Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc and Pinot Noir also play an important role. The varieties Chardonnay and Dornfelder are cultivated on smaller areas. According to the VDP-Nahe statute, only the Rieslings from the best individual locations are marketed under the location name. Bottle-fermented, hand-shaken sparkling wines are also produced using the champagne method. The winery is a member of VDP
(Association of German quality wine estates) and founding member of German barrique forum