The estate is located in the municipality of Istein (Markgräflerland area) in the German wine-growing region to bathe
, It was first mentioned in 1139 and was then in the possession of the Bishop of Basel. Until secularization during the Napoleonic
Wars remained in the possession of the church and then fell to the state of Baden in 1802. In 1811 the estate was acquired by Carl Friedrich Freiherr von Freistedt, a son of the margrave Carl Friedrich at the time. The new owner had the property converted into a small castle, from which the name is derived. The property was then owned by the district of Lörrach from 1953 and was leased to the Soder family from 1977 to the end of 2006. Finally, in 2007 the castle property was sold to the "Royal Vinum Verwaltungs- und Betriebsgesellschaft GmbH". This also belongs to the historic Emil Marget winery in Hügelheim-Müllheim. Cellar master is Thomas Abels. The vineyards cover ten hectares of vineyards in a single location Kirchberg
(Is a). They are planted with the varieties Pinot Noir, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Riesling, Gutedel, Chardonnay and Gewürztraminer. The white wines are fermented cool and slowly and are stored on the yeast for a long time. Bottle-fermented sparkling wines and brandies are also produced.