The winery was established in 1840 two kilometers south of the city of Montalcino in the Italian region Tuscany
founded by Clemente Santi (1795-1885). The name "Il Greppo" comes from the steep slopes on the site. The founding daughter Caterina Santi and Jacopo Biondi further expanded the winery. Their son Ferruccio Biondi-Santi (1848-1916) continued the efforts already started by his grandfather to select high-quality Sangiovese vines. He finally created the Sangiovese variety Brunello
and first produced a dry red wine of the type of Barolo
who later became DOCG red wine Brunello di Montalcino
Until after the Second World War, this was only produced commercially by Biondi-Santi. Ferruccio introduced an extremely complex cellar technology for the Riserva version, which was consistently continued by his son Tancredi. The outstanding Brunello Riserva vintages made from vines that are at least 25 years old were produced with a long fermentation period and five to six years of barrel aging. In the first 57 years these only existed in 1888, 1891, 1925 and 1945. The well-known wine author Burton Anderson
was inspired by a visit to the winery to write about wine. In 1988 he published the book: "Biondi Santi: the family that created Brunello di Montalcino".
The vineyards cover 18 hectares of vineyards that are planted exclusively with the red variety Brunello (a Sangiovese variety). Around 70,000 bottles are produced annually. The first Brunello vintages 1888 and 1891, which are still available today, as well as the outstanding vintages 1945, 1955, 1964, 1971, 1975, 1982, 1983 and 1990 are offered at true fantasy prices. The winery is one of the few Brunello producers to run the special service of Ricolmatura
(Filling), in which the best vintages are refilled and corked after ten years and longer. In 1988, the company was converted into a stock corporation, but in which descendants of the family are still responsible. The management of the company was handed over to his son Jacopo by Franco Biondi-Santi in the late 1990s.