The estate is located in the commune of Thörnich (Bernkastel district) in the German wine-growing region Moselle
, It was founded in 1628 and has been family-owned ever since. In the middle of 2005, the next generation, Meike and Thomas Ludwig, took over the management of the traditional company. The vineyards cover nine hectares in the vineyards Ritsch
and Schießlay (Thörnich), as well brotherhood
(Kluesserath). They are planted with the white varieties Riesling (80%; some up to 100 years old), Müller-Thurgau, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc and Sauvignon Blanc, as well as with the red varieties Pinot Noir and St. Laurent. Winegrowing has been certified as environmentally friendly since 2003. The highest quality with natural means is also striven for in winemaking. Working with grapes, must and wine is done according to the traditional principle "as much as necessary, as little as possible". In suitable years, noble sweet berries and ice wines are also pressed. Bottle-fermented sparkling wines and brandies (pomace, wine, apple) are also produced.