The traditional winery is located in the municipality of Lorch in the German wine-growing region Rheingau
, It was first mentioned in the 13th century. It received its current name only in the 1920s from Carl-Albrecht Graf von Kanitz. He inherited it from the Prussian minister Heinrich Friedrich Karl vom and zum Stein (1757-1831), whose family property had been the property since the 16th century. Today it is owned by Sebastian Graf von Kanitz, operations manager is Jens Pape.
The steep vineyards cover 15 hectares of vineyards on stony Devonian and Taunus slate soils in the Lorcher layers of Bodental-Steinberg, chapel hill
, Around 95% of the area is classified as a "first location" and thus corresponds to the regulations for the wine level First crop
, They are mainly planted with Riesling, as well as some Pinot Noir and Gewürztraminer. The management has been carried out since 1968 according to the rules of the Organic viticulture
, After a three-year conversion phase, the winery has been a member of the organic association since 1992 ECOVIN
, The wines have been produced since the 2014 vintage vegan
produced without the use of animal products. In weather-appropriate years, noble sweet wines are also pressed. Bottle-fermented sparkling wines and brandies (yeast) are also produced. The winery is a member of the VDP
(Association of German quality wine estates).