The estate is located in the municipality of Mertesdorf-Lorenzhof directly on the Ruwer in the German wine-growing region Moselle
, The Karlsmühle is the oldest stone mill north of the Alps. Nearby there were remains of buildings that suggest a Roman mill. The Romans sawed marble and shell limestone brought in from Italy for the magnificent buildings in Trier. The Roman poet Ausonius
(310-395) describes in his poem "Mosella", written around 370, a boat trip on the Moselle and its tributaries. In it he also reports about Ruwer: Ruwer turns the grain-grinding stones in dizzy whirls and pulls the screeching saws through smooth marble blocks
. From 1457 the mill was owned by the St. Maximin monastery in Trier. Johann Karls acquired it in 1803 when the monastery was dissolved and gave it its current name. Since that time, the family and their descendants have been wine-growing. In 1889 Peter Geiben married into the family, whose grandson of the same name has been running the estate since the late 1970s. The property also includes a hotel that is currently leased.
The vineyards cover 12.5 hectares of vineyards in the individual layers Kehrnagel
(Chasuble), as well as the very steeply terraced slopes Felslay and Mäuerchen (Lorenzhof), which are owned exclusively. The wines of the latter two individual layers are mostly under the collective name Lorenz Höfer
marketed. The majority of the vineyards are made with Riesling (11 ha), as well as smaller amounts of Müller-Thurgau, Pinot Blanc, Dornfelder, Pinot Noir and the special Moselle variety Elbling
planted. The Rieslings are usually fermented spontaneously with the natural yeasts and are largely dry and semi-dry. When the weather is suitable, ice wines and dried berries are also pressed. Bottle-fermented sparkling wine is also produced.