The estate is located in the town of Krems in the Lower Austrian wine region Kremstal, The origins go back to the 13th century. A vineyard property of the city of Krems can be traced back to 1452, making it one of the oldest wineries Austria and also Europe. Until 1744, cellars and press facilities were housed under the town hall, then in the basement of the "Corporis Christi" brotherhood. In 1915, the city of Krems acquired a wine cellar in the city moat, since then the estate wines have been made there. In July 2003 Fritz Miesbauer, previously longstanding managing director of Free vineyard wachau, the leadership. Peter Rethaller is responsible as cellar master. Extensive investments in cellar technology have been made.
The vineyards cover 31 hectares of vines in their own possession. The most important varieties are Grüner Veltliner and Riesling with a 95% share. The vineyards in the east of the city are dominated by loess soils. In the vineyards Gebling. sandpit and Weinzierlberg are next to the dominant variety Green Valtellina also Riesling. Pinot Blanc and Chardonnay cultured. In the west of the city, adjacent to the wine region Wachau, narrow terraces on steep mountain slopes dominate the landscape. Here are the vineyards Grillenparz, Kögl and Kremsleiten, Pfaffenberg and Wachtberg with above all Grüner Veltliner and Riesling. The dry wines are only offered in restaurants and specialist shops, the export quota is 50%. Around 120,000 bottles of wine are produced annually. The winery is a member of Traditional wineries Austria,