The winery in the Lower Austrian wine region Kremstal has its origin in 1083, when Bishop Altmann von Passau (1015-1091) at the summit of the Göttweiger mountain at 449 m above sea level on the south bank of the Danube towards the city Krems founded a monastery, which he gave to the monks of the Benedictine Order handed. Forestry and viticulture have been the economic basis since then, and here the development of viticulture has been decisively shaped for the region. There was a distinctive wine culture in the 14th century. The Hofmeister checked the carefully defined way of working in viticulture. Thereby, exact completion dates for the individual works, the number of vines, the fertilization, the time of the pruning and weeding set. In the 16th century, the abbey wines were far beyond the borders Austria known in many countries. The main customers were Bavarian monasteries. The island of Wörth near Mautern served as the transhipment point, from there the wine was sent in wooden barrels by wooden barges on the Danube. These were pulled upstream by horses, and the current went downstream.
Already in 1714, the Göttweig Abbey had documentary evidence of 20,440 buckets (1,144,640 liters) of wine. The largest abbey oak barrel had space for 646 buckets (36,176 liters) of wine. The annual income from the wine industry was so high that after a major fire in 1718 the famous architect Lukas von Hildebrand (1668-1745) was commissioned to build the new monastery building, whereby the construction costs were almost entirely financed from the income from the wine shops ( the world-famous baroque abbey has been a UNESCO World Heritage ) Declared. Because Göttweig Abbey had the princely privilege of serving wine, many taverns were opened, such as in Stein, Wien (here you can still find the "Göttweiger Stiftskeller" in the city center) and Hungary. The first bottling took place in 1730, the bottles had the shape of a glass balloon. During this time, a planned cellar management also developed in the monastery. Emperor visited in 1805 Napoleon (1769-1821) before the occupation of Vienna and was thrilled by the unique view up there and the wine enjoyed there.
Since 2006 they have been sold to the Dr. Unger leased vineyards leased by a group of shareholders and thus revived the winery. The responsible managing director is Ing.Fritz Miesbauer (also a partner and also manager of the winery Stadt Krems), supported by Peter Rethaller (cellar master) and Franz-Josef Gansberger (sales / sales) .The vineyards cover 26 hectares of vineyards in the vineyards Gottschelle, Göttweiger Berg and Silberbichl, They are around 95% white wine varieties Green Valtellina (60%), Riesling and Chardonnay, as well as the rest with the red wine variety Pinot Noir ( Pinot Noir ) planted. The grapes are hand picked and packed in boxes for processing City of Krems winery transported where all the basement work is done. In principle, the wines are aged in steel tanks. The premium wines include Rieslings and Grüne Veltliner or Kremstal DAC Reserve with different vineyard names. It will be too measuring wines produced in white and red. Around 120,000 bottles of wine are produced annually. The winery is a member of the association Traditional wineries Austria,