Over a period of more then 15 years, the Wein‑Plus Wine Guide has established a reputation for its strict and independent wine reviews. Marcus Hofschuster, our head taster and editor in chief, has a precise view at the wines of the leading wine producers in Europe.
Interesting wines off the beaten mainstream path, wines with an unmistakeable character! Our head taster Marcus Hofschuster personally selects these wines from around 12,000 wines tasted each year: objectively, independently and without any trade interests.
As a member of Wein‑Plus you will profit from benefits we have negotiated with our cooperation partners in the world of wine – and these have a real cash value for you. These offers are exclusively for your benefit: Wein‑Plus receives no fees or commissions from ist partners – and that’s a promise.
Benefit from a significantly higher presence, increased awareness of your products, unbeatable top conditions at important branch service providers as well as useful, up-to-date and comprehensive information on wine and the wine sector.
Your data will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with third parties . By registering you enter no obligations. In the later registration process, you can optionally complete a paid membership or complete the registration without membership.
The named after the city DOC area on the Atlantic coast is located southeast of the Portuguese Capital Lisbon on Peninsula Península Setúbal in the central west in the area Península de Setúbal, The climate Here in the autumn is influenced by the influences of the Atlantic and especially by cool and very humid air currents from the Tejo river mouth. The vines grow here on calcareous, sandy and clayey soils. After this port wine and Madeira is Portugal's third major dessert wine with a very old tradition. The French Sun King Louis XIV. (1638-1715) is said to have always demanded the liqueur wine from Setúbal for his festivities in Versailles. The English wine author Cyrus Redding (1785-1870) praised the wine in 1851 in his book A History and Description of Modern Wine. Around the year 1860, the wine was exported to three continents. In the same way as at Madeira He was loaded onto ships before being sold in barrels and transported twice over the equator. Such on the label with TVE ( Torna Viagem ) designated bottles from the period 1870 to 1890 store today in the cellars of the company Fonseca,
The wine is made from at least 85% Moscatel de Setúbal ( Muscat d'Alexandrie ), as well as small portions mainly of the varieties Arinto, Boal Branco ( Malvasia Fina ), Moscatel Douro ( Muscat Blanc ) and the reddish variety Moscatel Roxo. In this case, he may call himself Moscatel de Setúbal. If less than 85% for the wine, but at least 67% Muscatel varieties he is only allowed to call himself Setúbal. For the remaining 33% but also a number of other white and red varieties permitted, mostly the wine is a blend of different vintages, in particularly good years, there is also one Vintage-Setúbal,
After this stemming the grapes are gently pressed. After a relatively short time fermentation in fermenting barrels or large concrete tanks, this is at a alcohol content of about 12% vol and residual sugar below 100 g / l Spriten with pure alcohol (Spirit of wine) aborted. The fermentation now stores at least six to 12 months with subsequent Press and Filter, The young wine is now aged in oak or mahogany casks in oxidative expansion continue. Some producers, such as Fonseca, are adding grapes at this stage in order to increase the fruitiness added. The loss caused by evaporation is replenished by wines of the same age. The usual for selected wines Torna Viagem is no longer common. The maturation lasts at least five to six years, for special qualities even 20 to 25 years. The younger wines are amber, the very old ones cognac with aromas after coffee. caramel and honey. The wines have one residual sugar to 90 g / l and an alcohol content of 18 to 20% vol. They are characterized by decades durability out.
The most important grape varieties
In the wine guide you will find currently 130 780 Wines and 23 184 Producers, including 1 302 classified producers.